*All prices are in Canadian funds.
Smooth Cast ONYX Fast Gallon Kit 16.5 Lbs (796946)
Smooth-Cast ONYXÂ® FAST is a mercury-free Ultra-Black urethane resin that cures quickly at room temperature to a deep black, solid plastic. Applications include reproducing sculpture, making prototypes and potting / encapsulation. Because ONYXÂ® is a fast curing resin and becomes hard quickly, it is also great for doing fast cold cast bronze, brass, copper, nickel/silver, etc. ONYXÂ® offers the convenience of a 1A:1B by volume mix ratio and has a very low viscosity, so it is easy to mix and pour. ONYXÂ® has an ultimate shore hardness of 80D and offers higher physical properties and higher heat resistance vs. other general purpose resins. Pot Life: 2.5 mins. Demold: 10-15 mins.
Advantages that ONYXÂ® offers over other resins :
1) if you desire a black casting, adding color pigment is not necessary
2) cured plastic is ultra-black and darker than competitive black resins
3) cured ONYXÂ® plastic can be polished and buffed to a high gloss shine
4) ONYXÂ® offers higher heat resistance (to 200Â°F /94Â° C at room temperature) vs. competitive black resins
5) unlike other black resins, ONYXÂ®does not contain mercury
6) ONYXÂ® is less expensive vs. other black resins.
How do I remove release agent from my cured urethane casting if I want to prime or paint the casting?
Removing a silicone-based release agent from your cured urethane casting is not easy. The most effective way is to sand blast or bead blast the surface of your casting. However, sand blasting removes a micro thin layer of the casting's surface. If not done properly, you can damage or remove fine detail. Soap Wipe or brush the casting with a soap that has high alkali content. Cascade brand dishwashing gel is highly alkaline and also contains baking soda, which is an advantage. Solvents Wipe or brush the casting with Acetone, Toluene, Isopropyl Alcohol or Mineral Spirits. Important: follow all safety precautions when using flammable liquids. You can then prime and paint your casting.