*All prices are in Canadian funds.
Powertex Hardener Transparent 5kg (203720)
Powertex Textile Hardener TRANSPARENT is an environmentally friendly, water based medium that hardens most natural fibers. Powertex dries slowly over several hours which allows the artist plenty of time to create sculpture with form and movement simply by pinching, folding or draping the Powertex impregnated cloth. Most natural textiles as well as paper, cardboard, wood, leather, Styrofoam and concrete can become potential sculpture mediums with the addition of Powertex. Powertex will also bond with most rock/stone. Ideal for outdoor sculpture, home décor, jewelry, and multimedia art. For outdoor use, the finished sculpture should cure indoors for 10 to 14 days. The transparent version of Powertex is not weather resistant and must be protected with a good quality outdoor varnish for outdoor use. If completed sculptures are painted and to be used outdoors, the paint must be protected with an application of outdoor rated varnish. Powertex must not be frozen and therefore cannot be shipped during the winter months.
PRODUCT ADVISORY: KEEP FROM FREEZING.
May require heated service subject to weather conditions. Additional shipping charges will apply. In such event customer will be notified.
Powertex textile modeling resource books
Powertex System Complete Workshop Manual
How Does Powertex Work?
Powertex is a liquid medium, ready to use right out of the package. Items to be coated can be brushed or dipped directly into Powertex. Once applied, Powertex begins to dry but will remain flexible for quite awhile. While it is in this flexible state, Powertex can be draped, folded, pleated and manipulated in countless ways. Once the treated item has been cured, it will be hard and durable. It will also be weather resistant and suitable for use outdoors. The exception to this is the transparent medium which will require a coat of outdoor (marine) varnish before it becomes weather resistant.
- Always stir Powertex thoroughly from the bottom.
- Do not let Powertex freeze while in its liquid state.
- Allow completed sculpture to cure for 2-3 weeks before placing outdoors.
- Always varnish transparent with good quality outdoor varnish. Use of marine varnish (spar varnish) which is used on wooden boats is recommended.
- Bronze, Lead, Ivory and Terra Cotta colors are weather resistant. No varnish is necessary unless you paint over Powertex... then you must varnish.
- Powertex is non-toxic and cleans up with soap and water (before drying). Remember to protect ceramic, brick, wood or similar floors as Powertex will bond with these surfaces and become permanent.
- Transparent Powertex can be colored by adding powdered pigments like "ColortricX" or "Powercolor" or by adding "Folk Art" brand paint at a rate of no more than 2oz paint to 1 liter of Powertex. "Folk Art" brand paint is the only paint compatible for mixing with Powertex.
- Any type of paint can be used over dry Powertex. However, you must seal the paint if the item is to remain outdoors.
- Powertex can be thinned slightly with small amounts of water.
- 100% natural fibers such as cotton work best. Always test fabric by coating with Powertex. If the fabric sticks to itself when folded, it should work well.
- Natural fibers will cure harder than those with a high synthetic component.
- Powertex does not stick to plastic. Cover with masking tape if you need to coat plastic.